yoga is a way of life.. For inner peace and good health, practice yoga

yoga is a way of life.. For inner peace and good health, practice yoga

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Healthy Broth: Listen to Your Body

When you have nothing to say, best not to say anything. That's how I've felt the past week, but here I am again! I go through periods of activity/inactivity, as we all do, and take time to process experiences and feelings before feeling ready to share my thoughts.

I have been inspired in this post to share a wonderful, super-healthy broth recipe passed along by my sister in law, Adele, which I hope many of you will want to try making... and enjoying. Adele has spent many years in her own health quest and has been a constant source of helpful natural remedies and food knowledge, and I am very grateful to her for this as I feel healthier as time goes on.

Our American-style diets tend to include foods that are on the acidic side (coffee and tea, vinegar, sweets, dairy, meat), so it's good to balance ourselves out by consuming foods that are alkaline. (You can Google acid/alkaline charts to see what foods to eat and/or avoid). The broth recipe that follows is an Alkaline Broth (the photo above is my soup pot last evening with everything ready to start simmering before I put a lid on it). It's really easy to make from common ingredients, and you drain everything and keep only the broth. I made a batch last night and drank several cups of it today and I feel great! There is nothing but the vegetable juice--no salt or olive oil or anything added AT ALL. It's very pure in other words. A good way to de-toxify, too! You can drink it hot, warm, or cold, and sip it during the day. Adele suggested drinking a glass before a meal and that way you are partly filled up and won't tend to stuff yourself as much with your meal. I can see the value of making this broth before each new season, to cleanse the body.

After you go through a few days of drinking this special and pure broth, see how your body feels. Check in with it and see if it responds favorably... More energy? Feel lighter? Is your body thanking you for this gift? After all, you really are giving it a gift and that intention is full of positive energy in your self-care. Paying attention to the needs of our body and showing it respect is important as this is the shell we exist in all the days of our lives. For me, protecting my health is my primary job. Without my health, everything is more difficult. With my health, everything is possible.

Bon appetit! Please, let me know how you enjoy this simple and yet powerful "elixir." Thanks, again, Adele!

ALKALINE BROTH
3 stalks celery or bok choy
Parsley
3 carrots
1 large onion or 2 garlic cloves
1 cup spinach leaves
6 red-skinned unpeeled potatoes

All veggies should be organic. Cover vegetables with water in a big non-aluminum soup pot. Let cook until broth has a rich flavor (approx. 2-3 hours). Strain and discard vegetables. Drink hot or cold.

(Notes: I put in a small handful of carrot greens since I didn't have many parsley sprigs on hand. I also used both onions and garlic. After straining, I kept the cooked veggies to puree and either use as a thicker soup base or sauce).

No comments:

Post a Comment