yoga is a way of life.. For inner peace and good health, practice yoga

yoga is a way of life.. For inner peace and good health, practice yoga

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Know Thyself: Stay With What Resonates

As the oracle of Delphi in ancient Greece advised, "Know Thyself." Self-knowledge implies a labor of love, an empowering position in which to walk through life. I have been in search of myself all my life, aware of this effort I guess since college (the time when many of us "wake up"), and expect to continue on a life-long search for self. I have made mistakes, have experimented, have found success, all in learning to know myself.

I meet people now and then who are on their own quest, feeling something is not quite right perhaps with their health and seeking answers. I have discovered in my own experience that the answers I seek are sometimes not with experts, but reside in me. At present, I feel healthy and have no illnesses, aches or pains (except occasional headaches, but more about that another time) and have relied on a range of practitioners along the way towards balance. The body wants to exist in a state of balance and it's what we do in our daily lives that leads to or strays from that balance.

What diet should you eat? What sort of doctor or practitioner should you see? What supplements are best? How do the latest health claims on the news affect me? These are valid questions, and congratulations if they have been on your mind. It's the beginning of "knowing thyself."

A diet is not just for losing weight. A diet is a collection of meals that are right for YOU. Finding the right diet for you is a matter of trying foods in season and at your current stage of life, by starting where you are. Same thing for lifestyle changes such as the form of exercise or downtime that allows your body and mind to be more attuned to each other, telling you that all is well. Using common sense and allowing your gut instincts to flourish brings good health into your life if you are willing to make changes or small sacrifices towards that goal. If you feel you need assistance because a health issue seems beyond your ability to remedy, talking to friends and researching on your own will lead you to the help you need. The important thing is to decide what RESONATES with you. You don't have to jump on the latest fad diet, and you don't have to make appointments with every practitioner someone recommends. Take in the information and seek out the assistance and advice you need because it speaks to you. For me, a supportive group of people who follow a healthful lifestyle is key. I find that as my life progresses, there are more like-minded people in it. There's nothing formal about it; we keep each other on track by making good health a focus of our lives. Publications like Yoga Journal, Natural Awakenings, The New York Times, and books like Louise Hay's "You Can Heal Your Life" are on my daily reading list. I need many doses each day of spiritual and practical guidance! It's out there for you, to discover and use as your tools.

What I eat and how I live my life is right for me. If I'm a healthy example, I'm glad always to share what I have found helpful! It has taken many years of fine-tuning, and constant fine-tuning each season and year that goes by because my body changes and my lifestyle changes, too. I'm willing to play. The reason I'm writing this blog, truly, is because I wish for all of my friends and family good health and inner peace so that we can all play together for many, many years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment